GARY LINEKER’S uncertain future is at the centre of two huge decisions facing the BBC over their football coverage.
Ex-England striker Lineker, 63, has suggested his “time is nearly up” after 25 years fronting MOTD.
And apart from that Saturday-night fans’ favourite programme, the BBC must also assess their team for a fresh midweek show after winning some Champions League rights from next season.
Long-serving Barbara Slater is stepping down as the Beeb’s director of sport this spring.
And The Times say whoever replaces her is expected to quickly address the MOTD situation.
The One Show host will start presenting TNT Sports’ Formula E coverage later this year.
But Jenas, 40, has admitted he’d be interested in succeeding Lineker.
He told The Mirror last month: “If the opportunity was to arise it’s obviously something I’d have to think about.
“My commitment is fully with the jobs that I have. That’s hosting Formula E, the bits that I do on The One Show.
“Any punditry work that I’m doing with TNT Sports and the BBC are huge commitments of mine and something that I love.”
Spurs and Barcelona legend Lineker, who is the Beeb’s top earner on £1.35million a year, has yet to reveal his plans or exactly how long he plans to stay on MOTD.
But Jenas has praised him as almost a mentor.
He said: “The big thing with this is Gary’s brilliant.
“Love Gary. I’ve learned so much from him over the course of my career and there’s still loads more to learn from him.”