in

Man Utd summer transfer hinted at as two Erik ten Hag claims rubbished | Football | Sport

Anthony Martial’s agent has confirmed that the Manchester United striker will remain at the club beyond the January transfer window amid his prolonged absence from action. The Frenchman has been linked with a departure this month but appears likely to end his nine-year Old Trafford career in the summer.

Martial is thought to be in the shop window after United opted against triggering the 12-month extension in his current £250,000-a-week contract.

But the 28-year-old’s lofty salary seems to be a troublesome hurdle for interested parties, making another loan exit unlikely.

Erik ten Hag has claimed that United are talking with Martial about his contract situation, possibly suggesting he could stay put if he accepts a pay cut.

However, Martial’s agent, Philippe Lamboley, has hinted that the Red Devils No. 9 will call time on his stint at the end of the season.

“Anthony will not leave Man United and will stay until his contract ends in June,” Lamboley told Sky Sports.

Martial hasn’t featured since United’s 3-0 defeat against AFC Bournemouth at Old Trafford on December 9.

Ten Hag initially cited illness as the reason for his exclusion from his side’s last seven matches.

Earlier this month, he admitted Martial wasn’t yet ready to return to his plans and that the two parties were working to restore his fitness.

He said: “He’s not fit. We have to make him fit, and it is his job as well to get ready for the next game. But in this moment, he is having medical treatment, and he has to recover.”

Reports this week claimed that Martial had been told to train alone at Carrington before Ten Hag would start considering him for selection.

The Mail stated that Martial wasn’t injured, but unable to meet the intensity and work-rate demands of Ten Hag’s training sessions.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Euro 2024: Seven players who need a January transfer

Man Utd ‘make shock transfer decision on Casemiro with ex-Real star having over two years left on £350k-a-week contract’