in

Bruno Fernandes ‘rejected astronomical offer’ to ditch Man Utd as reason comes to light | Football | Sport

Bruno Fernandes reportedly turned down a huge money offer to join Saudi side Al-Hilal in January. The Portuguese midfielder was made club captain by Erik ten Hag ahead of the 2023/24 campaign replacing Harry Maguire, having already worn the armband in the League Cup and FA Cup finals last season when the defender wasn’t selected.

United prevailed in one of those finals, beating Newcastle in February to end a six-year trophy drought. It also represented the first piece of silverware that Fernandes had won at the club, following his £47million move from Sporting CP in January 2020.

And his desire to win more major trophies with the club was seemingly a factor in his decision to stay. According to Record, the Middle East outfit made an “astronomical offer” to the 29-year-old, but one that was swiftly rejected.

Fernandes reportedly believes the club are still capable of challenging for Premier League titles, as well as European trophies. And he wants to remain at the top level and drive the club forward following the arrival of Sir Jim Ratcliffe.

But in news that will concern fans of the Red Devils, Al-Hilal are expected to come back in for him this summer. Under manager Jorge Jesus, the club are the runaway leaders in the Saudi Pro League and currently have the likes of Neymar, Ruben Neves, and Aleksandar Mitrovic in their ranks.

Fernandes is currently contracted until the end of 2026 at United and has the option of a one-year extension. And Ten Hag clearly considers his skipper pivotal to his plans, with him making 30 club appearances overall this season.

However, the squad have struggled, exiting the Champions League at the group stages and are currently lying seventh in the Premier League. And after the 4-3 win over Wolves on Thursday, Fernandes outlined that improvements must be made ahead of a clash with West Ham on Sunday.

“We have to be careful on the details we have to avoid, to make sure we don’t have the same second half as today,” he told MUTV. “The first half was amazing, we could control the game and occupy the half spaces. It’s going to be really important on Sunday to do it again because they can counter-attack and we must be really focussed on that.”

This week, Ten Hag also admitted he had been desperate to bring a striker into the club in January, but had been scuppered by FFP regulations. Instead, the Dutchman sanctioned a series of loan exits.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Chelsea’s Moises Caicedo and Enzo Fernandez forced to delete Twitter accounts over disgusting abuse after Liverpool loss

Kylian Mbappe transfer news: Fabrizio Romano says major Real Madrid decision expected in days