in

Ex-Man City star Robinho ARRESTED after judges ruled he will serve his nine-year rape sentence in Brazil

EX-MAN City star Robinho has been arrested at his home as he is set to serve his nine-year rape sentence.

The Brazil ace was arrested by Federal Police on Thursday at his home in Santos, in the state of Sao Paulo.

Brazil star Robinho has been jailed today at his home in Santos, Sao Paulo

4

Brazil star Robinho has been jailed today at his home in Santos, Sao Paulo
He was convicted of a 2013 gang-rape in 2017 and has been free ever since

4

He was convicted of a 2013 gang-rape in 2017 and has been free ever sinceCredit: AFP
The former Premier League footballer is set to serve his sentence in Brazil

4

The former Premier League footballer is set to serve his sentence in BrazilCredit: Getty

It is understood he will undergo a custody hearing this evening in Brazil, Globo reports.

The former player was detained after the Special Court of the Superior Court of Justice (STJ) decided that he serve a nine-year sentence for the crime of gang rape, following a conviction by the Italian justice system.

Italy had issued an international arrest warrant for Robinho, but the former Premier League star has dodged jail for seven years while living in Sao Paulo.

Convicted in 2017, he will now serve his sentence in Brazil at the request of Italian authorities in an unprecedented move.

The former Santos star says he is innocent.

But yesterday Brazil’s Superior Court of Justice (STJ) took a fresh look at Italy’s request.

Nine of the 15 ministers voted in favour of the player serving his sentence in his home country – forming a simple majority and sealing the footballer’s fate.

They did not judge whether the player is guilty or innocent, but whether he should serve the sentence in Brazil or not.

CONVICTED IN ITALY

Robinho was one of a group of six men convicted of sexually assaulting an Albanian woman in a club on January 22, 2013 during his stint for AC Milan.

He was found guilty in November 2017 in an Italian court and has made several failed attempts over the years to appeal.

Decapitated inmates & jailhouse warlords – inside Brazil’s hellish prisons where ex-Man City star Robinho faces 9 years

Under Italian law, his sentence will not begin until the appeal processes have been completed.

The Brazilian constitution doesn’t typically allow for the extradition of its citizens who’ve been sentenced abroad.

Meaning that until today, the 40-year-old would have only faced actual arrest if he travelled abroad.

In November last year Italian prosecutors said they felt Robinho should serve his time in Brazil.

Brazil previously argued that he should serve his time in Italy, arguing that it would represent joint efforts to combat crime and judicial cooperation.

Robinho, full name Robson de Souza, currently lives in Sao Paulo and surrendered his passport to authorities in March 2023 after his prison sentence was ratified in 2022.

CLAIMS OF INNOCENCE

Robinho, who has claimed he is innocent, accused the Italian justice system of “racism” and said the encounter in 2013 was “consensual”.

He told a Brazilian network TV Record on Sunday: “I hope that here in Brazil I can have the voice that I didn’t have there.”

“I never denied it (the encounter). I could have denied it because my DNA was not there, but I’m not a liar.

“I played for four years in Italy and I got tired of seeing stories about racism. The same people who do nothing about racism, which I repudiate, are the ones who condemned me.”

A Brazilian news outlet previously published audio recordings obtained by Italian authorities which included Robinho discussing the case with friends.

I hope that here in Brazil I can have the voice that I didn’t have there [in Italy]

Robinho

In one clip he says: “We will punch her in her face. You will punch her in the face and say; ‘What did I do to you?'”

And in another: “That is why I am laughing, I don’t care at all.

“The girl was extremely drunk, she doesn’t even know who I am.”

A further leaked conversation shows him saying: “If this comes out in the press, it will screw me.”

Robinho played for clubs including Real MadridManchester City and AC Milan, and signed a contract in 2020 to return to his first club in Brazil, Santos.

However, the deal almost immediately fell apart after sponsors reportedly threatened to cut ties with the club for signing a player convicted of rape.

Speaking after the Santos announcement, the striker took to Instagram to admit: “Guys, this is Robinho.

“Of course, with a lot of sadness in my heart, I’m here to tell you that I made the decision with the club president to suspend my contract at this troubled time in my life.

“My goal has always been to help Santos Football Club and if in any way I’m getting in the way, it’s best I leave and focus on my personal things.”

Robinho’s Rape Case: a Timeline

The rape case involving Brazilian footballer Robinho spans several years. Here’s a brief timeline:

  • 2014: Brazilian media reported on the allegations against Robinho, but no formal charges were filed at that time.
  • 2017: Robinho was found guilty of sexual assault by an Italian court and sentenced to nine years in prison. However, he denied the charges and appealed the verdict.
  • 2020: After the appeal process, Robinho’s sentence was upheld by the Italian court. But due to the statute of limitations in Italy, he was not extradited to serve his sentence.
  • 2022: Robinho’s prison sentence is ratified.
  • March 2023: Robinho surrendered his passport to authorities
  • November 2023: Italian prosecutors said they felt Robinho should serve his time in Brazil.
  • March 20, 2024: Brazil’s Superior Court formed a simple majority and voted for Robinho to serve the sentence in his home country.
Robinho pictured in 2012 during his time at AC Milan

4

Robinho pictured in 2012 during his time at AC MilanCredit: Reuters

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Newcastle transfer news: Howe eyes €28M Eredivisie left-back as Burn upgrade

Gary Neville proved right by Bukayo Saka withdrawal as City and Arsenal theory resurfaces | Football | Sport